Sunday, March 25, 2018

Sunday is for meal planning and grocery shopping

OK, Its 10:30 a.m. and I am starving because I slept in, and haven't eaten breakfast yet. We are sitting here meal planning and getting shopping list together. I guess this is one of those days we will be fasting for breakfast and then eating brunch??? According to keto guidelines you should fast intermittently, so I guess this morning is our fasting time. So for those of you who don't know me well, meal planning for the week is nothing new for my lovely bearded hubby and I. We have been doing this since we started Paleo over 4 years ago. I found this great meal plan/shopping list at Target once and so that is what we used to decide on meals for the week and then make a grocery list for the week. It is super handy. Now days its easy to find printable versions of this notepad on some Paleo websites. I think Nom Nom Paleo has one. You can find lots of meal planning printable here and here.

In the beginning of our Paleo journey we were on a strict budget, so we purchased 2 good Paleo cookbooks and would search the Google for more ideas. Then on Friday or Saturday we would go out to eat and would bring our books and notes with us and sit and look up recipes and decide which ones to try and then we would make our shopping list so we were ready to go on Sunday for shopping. People looked at us so strange when we pulled out cookbooks at the table in a restaurant. But I think they were pleasantly surprised when they realized what we were doing with those books and notepad. It also helps a lot that my husband is completely on board with eating Paleo and now eating Keto. I don't have to explain to him my issues with gluten causing joint pains and stomach issues. I don't have to try to explain to him that milk products of any kind give me migraines, and then sinus infections and horrible heart burn. He believes me. He gets it and he doesn't question it. It is also nice that he shares in my successes and failures.
Like this morning, brunch/lunch was a total failure! We decided to go to this taco place that has great tacos and see if we could create a keto meal here. FAIL! ha ha ha! We ordered the Migas Royale Plate. Then the poor guy behind the counter had to completely modify my plate. First, no tortillas, then there were 3 kinds of cheese we had to eliminate on the plate, then potatoes gotta go too. Then added some bacon for extra protein and fat. When our plates came out, the eggs had tortilla strips cooked into them. Duh... Migas! Oh well. We did the best we could to pick the tortillas out of the migas. At least we tried. Guess we should strike this place off the list for places we can eat Keto for now.
Eating out is so difficult sometimes. We have had to sacrifice so much when it comes to eating out and enjoying our time doing things outside the house. I am tired of being "that person" at restaurants who has to pick apart the menu to find foods I can eat. But it is our life and we are getting better. I have to say, living where we live we have a lot of great options and its nice that the Paleo craze is really starting to influence the types of new restaurants opening up in big cities. I have to say the hardest thing about living gluten free and dairy free is when we travel on road trips. But we are learning more and more each time we travel. Going home to see family we know that my Mom will have a pantry full of GF pancake mix for breakfast and maybe some GF cookie mix and GF cornbread mix. She doesn't understand all the Paleo stuff, but at least she understands the gluten free issues and how important that is for us. There is a new Whole Foods and Trader Joes just on the edge of her neighborhood, so I can easily run to the store to grab DF milk or other items we might need while we are there. Bonus, my Mom is an excellent cook and a healthy cook, so there are always lots of options for us to eat without feeling left out at any meal in her home.
When we went to Colorado for a road trip a year and a half ago, we planned ahead. We took a huge cooler packed with DF milk, GF cereal for breakfasts, GF bread and about 6 large Gourmaleo Paleo pre-made meals, fruit, snacks and a bunch of other stuff I cant remember. We were going to be getting up early and spending entire days at The Tiny House Jamboree with friends, so even though we didn't keep to a strict Paleo diet the entire time we were on vacation, we were fine with eating a little of the rails. It was also very budget friendly for us to bring more then half of our meals with us. We always get back on track when we get home from any trip.

So anyways, we have our shopping done for today. And we have taken our walk before cooking dinner. 1.15 miles this evening around the hood. Dinner was a pretty good success, and the awesome bearded hubby is now washing dishes while I finish up this blog early so I can get to bed on time tonight. Although, it really doesn't matter much if I go to bed now or in 3 hours, because inevitably I will still hit the snooze button 10 times and roll out of bet about 5 minutes before I should leave for work. Maybe I should go ahead and take my shower tonight, so that's one less thing to think about in the morning...

OK, before I go I will share with you our Dinner menu for the week.
Sunday - Skillet Chicken Sausage and Vegetables
Monday - Cobb Salad
Tuesday - Garlic Shrimp and Zoodles
Wednesday - Sheet Pan Pork Chops
Thursday - Burger Bowls
Friday - Chicken Enchilada Bowl (same as last week, yummy!)
Saturday - Date Night for our Anniversary at Feed Company

Good night y'all. Thank you for reading. Thank you for your support. God bless you all.
Cece


This was meal prep for tonights dinner. I am still learning how to add photos. So hopefully I will be able to add some more in my next blog posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bucket List

Did you ever make a "bucket list"? I don't think I have ever actually made a bucket list, but I have definitely dreamt of th...