Sunday, April 1, 2018

Anniversaries are for celebrating.

Happy April Fools Day, y'all! And Happy Easter for those who celebrate it!
Today is also my wedding anniversary. What a wonderful journey this has been. 1,460 days married. All totaled, 5 years together. As we were getting closer to the weekend and talking about what we wanted to do to celebrate we decided to go out to dinner at a nice restaurant. Some place new. I started wondering what the menu would be like and if there would be dishes that were keto friendly. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. I don't want to be that person who has to modify everything on the menu to accommodate our meal plan. I don't want to get upset or angry or sad that I can't enjoy a special event with friends and family, just because we are following the keto plan. I have a lot of weight to loose. It could take a year or more to get to where I need to be for my health. How many birthdays, holidays and anniversaries will I have to miss out on, or sit through in misery. So I made a decision. I am not going to miss out. I mean really, how often do we go out with friends to celebrate a birthday or holiday? Its not that often. And there are weeks, even months in between where we can keep up with meal plans and shopping. So we went out to dinner last night, and we didn't stress about what we would or could eat. We just enjoyed the experience of a new restaurant, and celebrating each other and our journey. We were pleasantly surprised that the menu had several items that were very Keto friendly, so by happy coincidence our meal was pretty compliant in that respect. We had muscles cooked with bacon and butter and other yumminess.
Then there was the 1/2 rack of ribs. They had a lot of pepper, very smokey flavor but were pretty good.
And then there was the pork chop with Brussels sprouts, carrots, arugula and a drizzle of some sort of raspberry glaze.
It was a lovely dinner. We shared a few whiskey drinks as well, since that was the restaurants specialty. It was a perfect spring evening, dining on the patio. Later we walked across the street to another restaurant for desert. One of the only places in town to find a gluten free and dairy free desert! I had been craving this for a while, and since it was a special occasion we decided to indulge. Chocolate chip banana bread with almond milk ice cream and caramelized bananas. Again, we sat on the patio, people watched and chatted. It was an awesome dinner and desert and I don't regret one single carbohydrate!

So that is our anniversary adventure for this year. Next year is 5 years, who knows what we will do then. But I can assure you whatever it is, we will enjoy it even if we are still following keto! I know this may not work for some, but it has worked for us this weekend. I am back on track this morning with my protein smoothie. I even measured my ketones last night, this morning and this afternoon and while they dipped a little low, they are back up this afternoon. So I am confident that I didn't loose any progress with this one meal. Tonight is dinner at friends. Thankfully, they have been doing keto and gluten free, so we know we will be able to enjoy dinner with no issues there.

So here is my weekly recap

Weigh in: 265.8 lbs
Clothing: jeans are a little looser today
Other changes: I have had a rash from Candida overgrowth that has been angry and irritated. Under my arm pits and in other cracks and creases. I have noticed this week, the rashes are settling down and not so raw and red and itchy. The other thing I noticed is that I was able to wear my wedding rings today for the first time in almost a year, maybe longer. That was a pretty sweet treat for me!




Weekend Recap:
So this week went pretty well. We meal planned last Sunday and shopped for our weekly meals. I has planned for making more snacks for this week and we kinda failed on that note, but somehow both of us managed fine this week. My nutritionist wants me drinking 2 cups of green tea per day. I will admit, I have not been doing that much. It seems as the weather gets warmer, I am not that interested in drinking hot tea. I will keep trying. Maybe I can find a good green tea ice tea recipe to keep in the fridge for hot days. Water intake probably needs to increase as well, although I will say most days I am getting in more then 8 glasses of water a day. Nutritionist says 16 glasses aka 1 gallon of water per day. I thought that was pretty crazy at first, then I start learning about Keto flu and watched my hubby get hit hard with a migraine and realized that this was Keto flu related to lack of electrolytes and lack of adequate water intake. So important to note, water intake and electrolytes are crucial when eating Keto. 

Hope you all had a very blessed holiday weekend, no matter what holiday you celebrated. 
Eat well, sleep well.
Cece

1 comment:

Bucket List

Did you ever make a "bucket list"? I don't think I have ever actually made a bucket list, but I have definitely dreamt of th...